Sunday, May 18, 2014

What Merits Repeating

It's Sunday afternoon, and I should be writing because I have publicly committed to writing on this new blog on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. Saturday flew by and so now I am amending the commitment to Tuesdays, Thursdays, and "the weekends." I'm trying to make this more enjoyable by sitting on the backyard swing with a fresh pot of tea. On the swing with me is Bones the cat, who cares nothing about my blogging life but knows to savor a swing in the sun when he can.

How do we come to this conviction that we must compose things for people to read? Does this grow out of a sense of giftedness or calling? Is it a dutiful response to others' expectations because I've been an editor, writer, and blogger a long time now, and this is simply what I do?

Or do I write to make meaning, to feel significant, to be valued?

Expressing anything in written language nearly always magnifies it. I can end a sleepless night by going to an all-night grocery, and all I'm doing is running an errand because I can't sleep. However, I might later write:

"I went shopping at dawn, the morning wet and the tired aisles ceaselessly bright. I bought mushrooms mainly because they looked beautiful to me."

--and I have transformed a nearly meaningless event into a "reflection" or a "scene" or perhaps with some work later, into a poem.

I look at this one way and it appears that I have found beauty in the mundane. I have practiced mindfulness or gratitude; I have tapped into grace.

I look at this another way, and it appears that I have blown an experience out of proportion, making myself seem wise and my mundane moment filled with significance when, really, it's not.

I don't even have to wax poetic to distort an experience; all I must do is speak it to another person or write it for public record--and instantly the thing is bigger than it is.

After a point, writing can thus become an exercise in pride and self-importance. It's a way of asserting myself, of trying to command others' attention. I am not comforatable with this. In fact, a lot of writing these days--whether my own or others' --just makes me weary. We are all trying so hard to be heard, to make history, or at least to make a dent.

It's probably better for everyone if I devote less time to throwing words out there and more time to enjoying the tea and the cat that is stretched beside me. My hope is primarily to live a good life and to write only what merits repeating.

3 comments:

  1. I need a 'like' button, to let you know that I like what you wrote, without having to expand on it in a comment.
    Thank you all the same :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can just put the little :) and forget writing anything!

      Delete
  2. This has been resonating, Vinita, gently but persistently rattling around inside. You ask valuable questions. . . dappled with a sort of melancholy. Why not claim your beauty, magnify it and remember who you are? Yes, our times have problems with proportion and perspective. Yes, that is wearying. But if you enjoy your 'blowing' (things up) and 'throwing' (words around) and if you are adding beauty to the world (you are): why not allow that to be part of your good life, along with tea and a cat on a swing in the sun? [Or, do I misread you?]

    ReplyDelete