Sunday, May 25, 2014

The Perils of Pre-Travel Paranoia (Part 1)


The trouble with a long-planned-for trip, at least for me, is that I have more time to become freaked out about it. I bought the tour months ago, the plane fare months ago, have pre-paid for hotels at both ends of the tour, have even bought in advance train tickets from Heathrow to Paddington Station and then from Paddington Station our to Cheltenham. I have saved enough money to have a bit of cushion. Have done basic research on each town, have bought an inexpensive phone that will work in the UK. I even bought a device that will take photos and then post them on the Web (Kindle Fire—makes me feel quite extravagant).

Other than studying in detail the histories of the sites and recording names and addresses of all possible places I might want to visit, I have done about all the prep work there is to do. At one point I realized that, thanks to Google street view, I could actually take a virtual walking tour before I took the walking tour, but that just seemed crazy.

A friend sent me a link to an article about how we’re actually happier while we’re planning and anticipating a vacation than we usually are when we are on the vacation. Well, I didn’t need to hear that. Planning and anticipating has stirred up much anxiety; and now I can expect to feel worse? The point was that a person should enjoy the planning as part of the event, and I suppose I should give myself to this. I prefer to live in the present, to be fully where I am, and in a way it seems like poor stewardship to spend many hours in the planning of this. There is no guarantee that the trip will happen—illness or injury, a death, or some catastrophe . . . Would be a shame to invest in something that does not come to pass.

You have to consider that the longed-for journey might come to pass but also kill you by way of a plane crash or some freak accident involving a bog and a flashlight that stops working. Jim and I had a gift certificate to a really nice restaurant, so I decided we should go ahead and use it before I leave. I have tempered my impulse to sort and clean the entire house before my departure. But I did decide to tackle the writing room and office. If I die on the trip, I don’t want Jim overwhelmed with all our paperwork.

I will not, however, try to visit my mother prior to departure, because that would involve a long journey by car, and who knows what might happen. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment