Thursday, February 26, 2015

Functioning While Fragile

Recently I led a women's retreat that began Friday evening and ended Sunday mid-morning. The theme, chosen by the women of this particular parish: "Reflect, Refresh, and Rejoice." I arrived at the retreat center prepared, on time, and ready to be the person at the center of attention. A retreat leader really does not want to be the center of attention, but you are, at least at key moments when you're trying to read the room, establish the direction of things, and set a tone that will make or break the experience.

But prior to my arrival, early Friday morning when my husband was driving me to the airport, I wept in the pre-dawn darkness. I was prepared to do the work commissioned me, but I was not well. I had not been sleeping. A freelance project was running late, which is a huge failure in my book, never mind that there were reasonable causes. Another project was exploding in my face, thanks to a seeming disconnect between the agreed-upon concept of a book I had written and the new editor's reaction to it, including a tone of e-mail messages that came across as abrupt and simply mean.

A mere three weeks before this, we had buried an eighteen-year-old, a young woman not my daughter but with whom I had been involved in several capacities for more than a decade. I had not had the time or space to grieve--in fact, I still haven't.

And so I arrived to function as a leader of sorts, knowing that I was quite empty and unable to recharge any part of myself. I did not feel that I was overflowing with good gifts for these women. I hoped that the gifts would come from elsewhere and maybe travel through my body and voice.

It's best to come clean in these situations, if you can do so without blurting out all your personal angst. In the initial meeting Friday evening, I gave the group very basic information about my state but added that this was probably to their advantage. When you are hurting and tired, your ego is less likely to drive the agenda. You rely on grace--I mean, really rely on grace--because you know you can't pull magic out of the air or fabricate wisdom and poise you do not have.

Maybe we should feel our fragility more often and more acutely. I do my best to come to these events well-rested and well-nourished, so that I'm in a good place physically and emotionally, capable of listening and being present. Sometimes my best efforts fail and yet I face a room full of people who hope I can encourage them, inspire their wisdom, and help their prayers. What's wonderful is that I do those things. The work happens, and because I feel how fragile I am, my faith in the wonder and the work is probably more authentic than at any other time.

The weekend went very well. I returned to Chicago and the missed deadline and the other stresses and the brutal absence of a person I wish had lived until old age. I returned to more winter and to endless tasks running late and hurried. Still fragile. But still intact.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Vinita, for striking a balance between vulnerability and tell-all. I hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete